I have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest. I love that it inspires me to be creative and tackle new projects. I hate that it gives me this “stressed out, I have to do everything I see on Pinterest” feeling. I guess you can chalk it up to my type-A personality!
I wasn’t loving Pinterest so much on Saturday. We did our monthly grocery shopping and when I was putting the groceries away I decided to reorganize the pantry. In my mind, all I could visualize were these super organized pantries you see on Pinterest. As hard as I tried, I was finding myself getting frustrated that I couldn’t make my pantry look like those I have pinned. You know what I’m talking about – the beautifully organized, over-labeled pantries that people post with comments like “I wish my pantry looked like this” or “so inspiring.” As I was standing in my kitchen looking at this mess (see the picture below) and wondering how in the heck I was going to get it into the pantry, I realized that I was driving myself insane. And that’s when I realized that my pantry will never look like those you see on Pinterest.
|This had to somehow find its organized way into my pantry.|
Here are five reasons why my pantry will never be a Pinterest pantry:
- I actually own food. Silly huh? But really, the pantries I see on Pinterest do not have a whole lot of food in them. They also lack in a variety of foods.
- I have two kids. They like to eat and my daughter has taken to complaining when I don’t have the cabinet stocked with her favorite snacks.
- I have a husband and he doesn’t always put things back in the “right” place.
- I have only one place to store food. What you see is what you get. The pantry is the only place I have to store non-perishable food. And that means I have to get a lot in a little space!
- My pantry is deep. I unfortunately have to stuff things in the back. Even with the simple white roller baskets I installed when I was in my "pregnant nesting phase" with my daughter, things still get hidden in the back of the cabinet. I have not figured out a way around this (yet!).
|It's a work in progress.|
Even though it doesn’t look like it, I am actually organized. Everything has a place and I reorganize and reevaluate the space every time I go grocery shopping. There is a shelf that is a constant work in progress (my oils/spices - see "hot mess" above) and I may have a solution, but that’s for another day (when my husband can watch the kids so I can tackle and finish it at the same time). Until then, my pantry is what it is and I think it looks pretty good.
|After everything was put back in the pantry.|
Do you have an organization project that is challenging or constantly evolving? I would love to hear about it!