Monday, April 16, 2012

In This Case, Less Really Is More


A friend of mine - who also lives in a small space - has a rule for small space living.  Whenever you bring something new into your home, you should always take something out.  For the last week, I have been moving furniture around trying to accommodate the new buffet PLUS all of our other furniture.  I realized today (as I was trying to cram a chest into a corner of my room) that something had to go.  I can’t possibly fit all of the existing furniture into our home with the addition of the buffet.  So, I had to make some tough decisions regarding what I was going to place into storage.  As much as I hate to do it, the chest had to go {sniff, sniff}.  When thinking about what I should remove, I thought about what pieces maximize storage, can serve multiple purposes, and are the most widely used by our family.  Although the chest has a lot of sentimental value, we only used it to store mementos from my childhood and it occasionally served as a time out bench for my daughter.  For now, off it goes into storage until we can find a space and a use that will warrant it a place inside our home. 

Trying to cram the chest into a corner of our room.

Do you live in a small space?  What do you do when you bring a new piece of furniture into your house?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...