Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DIY Wooden American Flag

My mother-in-law gave me a few back issues of BHG.  I was drawn to this DIY wooden American Flag in the June 2012 issue.

Source: blogher.com via Natalie on Pinterest


Then one day on Pinterest, I saw this amazing flag made from reclaimed pallets.  Hmm...I can definitely do this!



My husband and I spent a few days trying to find pallets on Craigslist.  They are apparently a pretty hot commodity in my town!  After spending a fruitless Saturday morning driving around to different Craigslist listings, we realized we were out of luck.  They were all gone!  We rethought our design plan and decided to use scrap wood we already had on hand.

This is what we started with.


I spray painted the wood white with spray paint I already had on hand.


Then I painted a blue square in the upper left corner and taped off the stripes.  I picked up a few paint samples from Home Depot in red and blue.  (The only thing I had to buy for this project!  So awesome!)


After painting the stripes red, I cut a template out of cardboard for the stars.  I just held it over the blue and dabbed white paint over the cardboard.  I didn't mind that it wasn't perfect.  I kind of liked the homemade look.


After the paint dried, I attached hardware and wire to the back so that I could hang it on the wall.  Don't mind the old contact paper.  The scrap wood was actually an old shelf from my in-law's kitchen cabinet.


I love the final product.  I probably could have made the blue a little longer - more rectangular - and the stars a little more uniform.  My husband and I talked about possibly redoing the stars.  A few people who have done similar projects used temporary stickers.  I really don't want to spend anymore money on this project so the stickers are probably out.



I still love it though.  It looks great on the blue siding and hanging over our vintage metal porch chairs.  Plus, it a perfect decoration for the season!




Has Pinterest inspired you lately? I would love to hear about it!  


Oh!  I noticed that Young House Love is doing a Pinterest Challenge this week.  I plan on sharing this project over on their AMAZING blog (and on Centsational Girl, Bower Power, and Ten June!

You can also find it over on Positively Splendid.



8 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! I'm glad to have found your website - I love seeing what you're doing... It's inspiring!!!! This is Kristi not Matt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi! I love blogging. Isn't Matt a big blogger? Hope you are enjoying your summer!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was nervous to share with the world.

      Delete
  3. I love this!! You did a fabulous job. I love patriotic decor.

    Thanks for stopping by my page, you said you wanted to do climbing roses. I would definitely use wire or the chicken wire.

    I am also your newest follower! ☺

    You have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Fifi! My husband and I are going to put in the roses this fall. I hope to get the wire up before the end of summer. Baby steps! :) Thank you for following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love it. You did an amazing job. :)

    I am your newest follower form Positively Splendid.

    Kathy @ http:www.lakeshoredrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...